Minnesota Preacher Woman

Friday, September 01, 2006

Friday Five - Life in the Fast Lane

Friday Five - Life in the Fast Lane

In homage to Will Smama, who was in a fender bender, the Friday Five is about life on the road.

1. Driving: an enjoyable way to clear the mind? a means to an end? a chance to be quiet with one's thoughts? a necessary evil? the downfall of our planet and its fossil fuels? Discuss.

I like to drive during the day. I find it relaxing and at times, therapeutic. I love taking my kids on road trips. Last year I thought nothing of driving to Washington, DC and back to Minnesota as the sole driver for our summer vacation. But in recent years I started to hate driving long distances at night. So if the sun is out, I love it, but at night, I don’t.

2. Do you drive the speed limit? A little faster? Slower? Have you ever gotten a ticket?
Speedy Mary – I tend to drive a little fast than the speed limit. I got pulled over a year ago but only got a warning – whew! I haven’t had a speeding ticket for 20 years.

3. Do you take public transportation? When? What's your opinion of the experience?
No opportunities for public transportation in my home. This summer we used Amtrak from Minneapolis to Chicago for our vacation. I thought it would be nicer – the last time I took Amtrak I had a sleeper car but riding coach was a little humbling. Felt like a greyhound experience.

4. Complete this sentence: _____________ has the worst drivers I've ever experienced.
I have had “less than pleasant” driving experiences in both Montreal, Quebec and around Boston.


5. According to the Census Bureau, reverendmother's fair city has the 6th longest average commute in the United States at 29 minutes each way. How does your personal commute rate?
My personal commute is about 2 minutes because my little bedroom community is only a mile wide. My eldest child begins at a new school this year in the adjacent community and it will now (groan) take a whole 10 minutes to get him to school (while the school bus ride will take an hour – go figure).

Bonus for the brutally honest: It has been said, and the MythBusters have confirmed, that cell phones can impede driving ability almost as much as drinking. Do you talk on a cell phone while driving?
Unfortunately, yes, I do talk on the cellphone (while driving) about three times per week. I hate doing it and want to stop because I think it is dangerous.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home