Minnesota Preacher Woman

Friday, September 15, 2006

Friday Five - Brushes with Greatness

RevGals Friday Five “Brushes with Greatness”

1. Tell us about a time you met someone famous.
When I was a college student, I spent two summers working at the lodge restaurant at Zion National in southern Utah. I met three D list celebrities when I worked there: Pernell Roberts (of Bonanza and Trapper John, MD fame) who was very rude to all who approached him; Judge Wapner/Wopner (who hosted a show by the same name) who was very kind and even carried glossy 8x10’s ready to autograph; and Bob from Sesame Street. Bob was there with his family and I even took he and his family on a hike. Once while I was working there, someone mistook me for a celebrity. Even though I was waitressing, a woman stood up and pointed at me and said, “Aren’t you that woman from Cagney and Lacy??”

2. Tell us about a celebrity you'd like to meet. I would love to sit and have a private discussion with people like Barbara Brown Taylor or Jim Wallis or James Forbes. I consider myself a BBT groupie – have been in the same room many times but never met her.

3. Tell us about someone great who's *not* famous that you think everyone oughta have a chance to meet. The heroes that I know are people who have overcome great adversity and maintained a strong faith and healthy sense of humor. I would love people to meet Mary, who worked in the housing office at my Seminary and was my boss when I was a dorm Head Resident. Mary’s husband was murdered and her son paralyzed in the same attack. Mary and her son went on to champion legislation for handicapped accesibility. But behind the scenes, she also founded a scholarship for African-American men because she wanted to reach out to the young man who murdered her husband. She also wrote an open letter of forgiveness to the murderer, who was never caught, and printed it in a major newspaper on Christmas Day. Mary is an amazing woman whom others should meet.


4. Do you have any autographs of famous people? I have autographs of many Minnesota Vikings because we often visit their training camp. And I have autographs of Judge Wopner and Sesame Street Bob but not Pernell Roberts (see above).

5. If you were to become famous, what would you want to become famous for? For doing something like Texan Ann Richardson did – stepping forward in her 40’s after raising her children to make a difference in politics.

Bonus: Whose 15 minutes of fame was up long, long ago? The subway sandwich guy and Paris Hilton are the two that come to mind.

3 Comments:

At 10:38 AM, Blogger reverendmother said...

Ha! LOL at the Subway guy. So true.

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger Songbird said...

First, how cool to work at Zion! Poo on Pernell Roberts. Yay Bob on Sesame Street!
I was very near BBT at the Festival of Homiletics. It was wonderful to hear her speak in person, the first time for me.

 
At 7:02 PM, Blogger Cathy said...

I think it would be pretty cool to meet Barbara Brown Taylor too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home