Minnesota Preacher Woman

Friday, July 28, 2006

Hot hot hot Friday Five

Hot hot hot Friday Five

As a heatwave span the globe, the Revgalblogpal Friday Five (as compiled by reverendmother) is about heat.

1. What's the high temperature today where you are? The forecast today is for a high temp of 98 degrees.

2. Favorite way(s) to beat the heat. Air conditioning tops my list! Today is a day-off for me so I’m taking the kids and heading to the nearest lake. I’m sure a cold popscicle will also be in order, as well!

3. "It's not the heat, it's the humidity." Evaluate this statement. After living several summers in southern Utah (Zion Natl Park) which is very hot but also dry, I would say that the statement “it’s not the heat, but the humidity” is most certainly true. Shade works in dry heat but not in high humidity. Pure hell is a day with excessive heat and excessive humidity.

4. Discuss one or more of the following: sauna, hot tub, sweat lodge, warm-stone massage. Thinking of any of these on a day like today is near-torture. Amazingly, even the warm-stone massage doesn’t sound appealing! Can't think of any of them until winter arrives!

5. Hottest you've ever been in your life. I was on a three-day backpacking trip in Zion National Park and we ran out of water – yes, we were rookie hikers. So most of the third day we were parched, which made the heat take a terrible toll on our bodies. We pushed forward because we knew that the last half of the day was on a well-traveled trail and we begged for water whenever we saw another group of hikers. That experience is the most I’ve ever suffered in the heat…

Non-temperature related bonus: In your opinion... who's hot? Ooooh, where to begin? The first thing that came to my mind was that Richard Gere in “Shall We Dance” was hot.

4 Comments:

At 7:29 AM, Blogger reverendmother said...

I agree about the shade.

Sweat also does what it's supposed to do when it's dry--cools your body as it evaporates. I remember the first time I realized this--as an adult! hiking in Colorado. (I grew up in Houston, aka Calcutta!)

 
At 8:05 AM, Blogger Songbird said...

That last one was from me, but posting as my dog, embarassingly.
I wanted to say that Zion is beautiful. We were saving ourselves up for a big hike at Bryce Canyon the next day, so we didn't really hike at Zion, just took the little bus and waded in a stream, if I'm recalling correctly. It was beautifully cool in that tucked-away spot.

 
At 6:08 PM, Blogger revabi said...

Oh my God it is a wonder you all weren't carried off on a stretcher.

 
At 5:03 PM, Blogger Pink Shoes said...

Richard Gere also made my list...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home